Medicare Part B Premiums, RMDs, 60-Day Rollover Window Highlight Mailbag


By Marvin Rotenberg, IRA Technical Expert

This week’s Slott Report Mailbag includes questions on Medicare Part B premiums, required minimum distributions and the 60-day rollover window. As always, we stress the importance of working with a competent, educated financial advisor to keep your retirement nest egg safe and secure. Find one in your area at this link.

Please send your questions to [email protected]. We will pick 2-to-4 questions and answer them each Thursday.


My husband converted his IRA to a Roth IRA in 2010. We just received a notice from Social Security that our deductions for Medicare Part B and for our prescription drug coverage are being increased for both of us because the premiums are based on our modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) including the amount that was rolled over into the Roth IRA. Is there any way to avoid paying this increased amount?

It seems like this is a double tax since when we start receiving distributions they will again be included in our MAGI.

Thank you for your assistance.


Martha P. Willis

Your Medicare premiums are based on your MAGI. Unfortunately, this is increased when you do a Roth conversion and there is no offset for the conversion. However, the increase is temporary and should be reduced after the Roth IRA conversion amount is no longer included in your MAGI.

Distributions from your Roth IRA, if you elect to take any, will be tax and penalty free, unless you dip into the earnings within the first five years. They will not impact your MAGI in future years and should not increase future Medicare premiums. If you had left the funds in your IRA and had to take required distributions each year, your Medicare premiums could have been increased each year because of the RMDs. This way, you have a one-time hit to your premiums.


I haven’t been able to get an answers to these questions. Can you answer them please?

My husband is 71 and owns his own company. We maximize funding his 401(k) yearly. We know that he must take a required minimum distribution (RMD) by December 31, 2011.

1) He plans to continue working for many years and wants to know if he can still maximize his contribution to his 401(k) even though he’s taking an RMD?

2) I am 11 years younger than my husband. We were told that we can use a Joint Life Table to reduce our RMD since I’m more than 10 years younger. Is this true?

Thank you very much,

Wendy Lewis

An individual who is a 5% or greater owner will have to start RMDs from an employer plan at age 70 1/2. He could still continue to contribute to the plan so long as he continues to work and the plan allows him to make contributions.

For his RMDs, he can use the Joint Life Expectancy Table rather than the Uniform Lifetime Table since you are more than 10 years younger. This will enable him to take out slightly less on an annual basis.


I am 78 years old and have a conventional IRA. I have made three withdrawals (loans) totaling $25,000 in the last 60 days plus another prior to that.

I would like to replace the $25,000 but was told I could only replace a single withdrawal if it were in the last 60 days. Some folks tell me I can replace all three and others have told me I could only replace one. I then called the IRS and was told I could replace the three individual withdrawals as long as it was within the 60 day period.

What is correct?

Thank you,

Boyd Creech

The answer to your question depends on whether you have one IRA or multiple IRAs. The rule is that you can do only one 60-day rollover per account, per year. It sounds like you have only one IRA. In that case, the correct answer is you can only put back one of the withdrawals, within 60 days of the receipt of the funds. You can choose which distribution you want to roll over, as long as you meet the 60-day requirement.

It is generally not a good idea to take a “loan” from an IRA.


Receive Ed Slott and Company Articles Straight to Your Inbox!
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Content Citation Guidelines

Below is the required verbiage that must be added to any re-branded piece from Ed Slott and Company, LLC or IRA Help, LLC. The verbiage must be used any time you take text from a piece and put it onto your own letterhead, within your newsletter, on your website, etc. Verbiage varies based on where you’re taking the content from.

Please be advised that prior to distributing re-branded content, you must send a proof to [email protected] for approval.

For white papers/other outflow pieces:

Copyright © [year of publication], [Ed Slott and Company, LLC or IRA Help, LLC – depending on what it says on the original piece] Reprinted with permission [Ed Slott and Company, LLC or IRA Help, LLC – depending on what it says on the original piece] takes no responsibility for the current accuracy of this information.

For charts:

Copyright © [year of publication], Ed Slott and Company, LLC Reprinted with permission Ed Slott and Company, LLC takes no responsibility for the current accuracy of this information.

For Slott Report articles:

Copyright © [year of article], Ed Slott and Company, LLC Reprinted from The Slott Report, [insert date of article], with permission. [Insert article URL] Ed Slott and Company, LLC takes no responsibility for the current accuracy of this article.

Please contact Matt Smith at [email protected] or (516) 536-8282 with any questions.